Saturday, February 19, 2011

The First Ride

He took his written test last week and missed it by 1. He took it, again, yesterday and passed it by 5. Now, my 15-year-old, Jonah, has his permit.

The ride home was pretty scary to say the least. We took off with a jerk and a jerk aannnd a JERK. He looked very nervous and I'm sure I did too. He kept driving so close to the shoulder, I was worried the loose dirt might pull us into the ditch, but I guess HE was more scared of the centerline. 

The worst part of all, believe it or not, wasn't him slamming on the brakes and barely making the stop sign, it wasn't even when he was gonna make a right turn onto the highway and made such a WIDE turn we ended up in the OTHER LANE (thank goodness there were no oncoming cars). The WORST part was when I told him to get into his lane and in his confusion he said, "Wait, which lane??" Um yeah, wanna see someone speechless - only I had to collect myself quickly so we didn't DIE! 

After a few more times of racing up to turns and then turning way to wide, we did make it home. 

Onto his second drive, which was today. After a few minutes I felt pain in my right hand. I looked over and, no lie, my hand was gripping the handle so tight that my knuckles were white! Guess I had flashbacks of the day before. But, to my surprise, he actually did pretty well, except when he ran over the squirrel. That's right, Jonah's second time driving and he ran over and killed a squirrel. I saw him run up and then I heard thump, thump...... thump under the Durango. Jimmer said we should have brought it home and stuffed it... Jonah's first road kill - hahaa.  

Well, only 3 more FIRST rides to go. The first ride with Micah was pretty terrifying as well, but they catch on quick and then they're better drivers than me. But, that first ride.... there's just nothing like that first ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment