Friday, January 7, 2011

Calm Of The Storm

I had this amazing Birthday yesterday. My 15 yr. old son, Jonah, tossed me a hand written card and disappeared down the stairs. As I read it, I knew why. He wrote how much he appreciated me and how awesome and funny I was. He thanked me for working so hard to give all of them a nice home. Tears fell. I thought it was so sweet when he emailed me 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM' from school because he was thinking about me. My two little boys, Gabriel and Asher, bought me a Spongebob Squarepants blanket and pillow because they said I like Spongebob so much - haha how cute and touching. My 12 yr. old, Jude, made me a big cross on the computer and Micah, my artEEst, made me an amazing clay basket with all his creative talent in it. Jimmer left bath products on the counter for me before he left for work and came home with an ice cream cake and a SUPER funny movie, which I watched during my FOOT RUB! Seriously, I felt so loved, I couldn't have asked for anything better. It's funny how when you're a mother gifts are no longer important, except to give them away. And how that Spongebob blanket, those homemade cards, and that homemade clay basket are better than anything money could ever buy.

I wish I could freeze this moment in time as everything seems perfect and peaceful in my life right now. Because of this decaying world we live in, I know it can't always stay this way. Storms are imminent. We are either just entering one, in the middle of one or just getting out of one, but in every storm there is a calm. I feel like I'm in the perfect calm of the storm right now. I do see changes coming and, I guess, I shouldn't fear it, but it's hard not to when everything feels so right the way it is. My son, Micah, will turn 18 in a few weeks. His plans are to be with us through the summer and then go into the Air Force. I am so proud of him, but terrified at the same time. I knew the day would come when he would grow up and move away........ no, honestly, I guess I thought it would be like this forever. My mind couldn't fathom the day that my kids would grow into adults. Now, I can see it around the corner and I wonder, "How did this happen? Why is everything going so fast?"

I know there's no stopping it so I'll just have to try to enjoy the ride. In every storm to come I'll be anticipating that perfect calm again......... and will never forget this one or the many before.

No comments:

Post a Comment